Skip to main content
Direct Preceptor Supervision is Required For:
- Any situation/procedure for which the CTA feels supervision is necessary.
- Any procedure the student has done infrequently.
- Any procedure for which the student requests supervision.
- Insulin and heparin dose verification.
- Drug calculation verification.
- Blood or blood product administration.
- Transfer of patient to or acceptance of patient from any special care area (e.g., OR, ER, ICU, TCU, SSU).
- NG tube insertion.
- Transcription of physician's orders (must be countersigned by the preceptor).
- Validation of verbal or phone orders from physician and pharmacist (orders must be countersigned by the preceptor).
- Central line removal.
- Initiation and alteration of dosage of patient controlled analgesia (PCA).
- Initiation and alteration of dosage of continuous IV medication infusion (e.g., insulin, heparin,dopamine).
- Dosage alteration and bag/tubing change for epidural analgesia infusion.
Direct CTA Supervision is Required for the Following Until Such Time As the Student Has Demonstrated Competence:
- Intravenous medication administration.
- Insertion of a Foley catheter/performance of straight cath.
- Central line flush, dressing change and tubing change.
- PCA syringe change.
- Invasive or complex dressing change.
- Removal of drain (e.g., Blake, JP, hemovac, penrose)
- Suture remova