Eligibility Requirements and Documents Required -
Chapter 1607: Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)
Educational program for active members of the Selected Reserve called to active duty and members of the Individual Ready Reserve (Army IRR, Air Force IRR, Navy IRR and Marine Corps IRR.) called to active duty in response to a contingency operation declared by the President or Congress. The Department of Defense and the Department of Homeland Security (Coast Guard) determine who's eligible for chapter 1607. The Department of Veterans Affairs administers the program and pays benefits.
Members of the Selective Reserve may be eligible for Chapter 1607 after serving 90 consecutive days on active duty for a contingency operation. The Chapter 1607 benefit pays a percentage of the chapter 30 three-year or more rate based on the number of service days on active duty: 90 days but less than 1 year pays 40%, 1 year but less than 2 years pays 60%, and 2 years pays 80% payment of the three-year rate. If a chapter 1607 eligible student has served for than one deployment, and if total aggregate (combined) deployments total 36 months or more, then the student is eligible to receive the 80% payment rate.
Kickers: A service member eligible for chapter 1607 who's also eligible for the chapter 1606 kicker will be paid the chapter 1606 kicker.
Effective January 28, 2008
Eligible REAP participants may now participate in the "buy-up" program. Eligible reservists may pay up to $600.00 to increase their monthly rate of pay by as much as $150.00 per month. You must be a member of a Ready Reserve component (Selected Reserve, Individual Ready Reserve, or Inactive National Guard) to pay into the "buy-up" program.
Documentation Required (1st time applicants)
- Application for Benefits VA Form 22-1990
- Copy of Member-4 of DD214's showing dates of active duty with narrative stating that activation was a result of Middle East campaigns (OIF/OEF) or as a result of Global War on Terrorism.
- Have with you the Account No. and Routing No. of your bank orbring with you a voided check so that Direct Deposit can be set up at the time application
- Documentation showing if you are entitled to an additional "kicker" payment based on your enlistment contract: ($100, $200, $350)
- Documentation showing contribution of $600 for "buy-up" option