Congress recently passed the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act to provide some relief to students and colleges from the economic fallout related to the COVID-19 pandemic. One element of CARES Act funding is the Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF). Lane Community College received $28,892,106 with $11,018,288 to be allocated to students, and $16,666,275 to help offset institution impacts. The college also received an additional Title III Cares Funding of $1,207,543.
The student portion is meant to provide financial relief to students who have experienced the loss of income or added expenses as a result of the pandemic. LCC’s goal is to assist students with the greatest need, in accordance with federal guidelines.
Lane Community College has signed and returned to the Department the Certification and Agreement and the assurance that the institution has used the applicable amount of funds designated under the CRRSAA and ARP (a)(1) and (a)(4) programs to provide Emergency Financial Aid Grants to Students.
Each eligible student was awarded $380 for Spring Term 2020, $260 for Summer Term 2020 and $200 for Winter Term 2021 to help offset the expense of internet access and electricity for the duration of the spring term. These funds were distributed in accordance with the contractual guidelines and the Department of Education:
"… funds shall not be used for any purpose other than the direct payment of grants to students for their expenses related to the disruption of campus operations due to coronavirus…"
The cost of these utility expenses was calculated based on local internet and electricity rates for a period of 3 months.
Eligible students include:
- Students who were enrolled in at least 1 credit at the time of disbursement.
- Students who have filed a FAFSA and are in good standing with their financial aid.
- Students who were not 100% enrolled in online classes during the winter term (effective March 13, 2020).
Lane Community College has allocated at least $6,000,000 in Student funds to be provided 2021 Fall and Winter Terms. Students are eligible if they have attended since March 13, 2020 and disclosed that they have been impacted by COVID. Students who have not attended, become eligible if they are enrolled in at least 1 credit on October 4, 2021 (Fall) or January 10 (Winter). Funds for Winter term will be distributed the week of January 17-21, 2021. During Fall Term, $2,307,500 were awarded.
Institutional Funds provided to Students
Lane Community College has provided institutional funds for student debt relief. Accounts have been forgiven for all eligible students with outstanding balances between 2020 Winter Term and 2021 Spring Term. A total of 1,648,221 was allocated to 1,654 students.
Lane Community College used institutional funds to offset COVID-related fees for 2020 Fall and 2021 Winter Terms. Funds offset 489,590 in fees for 5,464 students.
Lane Community College has allocated $150,000 to encourage vaccination of LCC students. Three hundred students will be awarded $500 during the 2021-22 academic year through a vaccine lottery.
Reporting under CARES Act Sections 18004(a)(1) Student Portion
Lane Community College acknowledges that it has signed and returned the Certification and Agreement to the Department of Education and has allocated 100 percent of the funds received to date under Section 18004(a)(1) student portion of the CARES Act to provide Emergency Financial Aid Grants to students.
- Total HEERFAct funds received: $11,018,288
- Total federal HEERF funds awarded: $4,475,260
- Total federal HEERF funds awarded 2020 Spring Term: $1,223,160
- Total federal HEERF funds awarded 2020 Summer Term: $264,160
- Total federal HEERF funds awarded 2021 Winter Term: $680,000
- Total federal HEERF funds awarded 2021 Fall Term: $2,307,500
- Total federal HEERF funds awarded 2022 Winter Term: $4,389,440
- Total federal HEERF funds awarded 2022 Spring Term: $2,144,224
- Number of (Block Grant) students eligible to participate in Title IV: 5,464
- Number of LCC students who received federal CARES Act grants: 7,177
Grants Reflect all funds awarded through June 30, 2022.
Reporting under CARES Act Sections 18004(a)(1) Institutional Portion and 18004(a)(2)
- Quarter Ending September 30, 2022
- Quarter Ending June 30, 2022 Revised Report
- Quarter Ending June 30, 2022 Report
- Quarter Ending March 31, 2022 Report
- Quarter Ending December 31, 2021 Report
- Quarter Ending September 30, 2021 Report
- Quarter Ending June 30, 2021 Report
- Quarter Ending March 31, 2021 Report
- Quarter Ending September 30, 2020 Report
- Quarter Ending December 31, 2020 Report
If you are a person with a disability and you encounter barriers to accessibility on one of these report, please contact Customer Service staff of the Federal Register for assistance at 202-741-6000, 8:45 a.m. to 5:15 p.m. EST, Monday through Friday (except Federal holidays).